Sunday, May 25, 2008

My new summer jacket

After having somewhat mixed feelings about how my last few garments have turned out, it was quite a relief to make something that I really love: Jacket 131 from the May 2008 issue of BWOF. It's a little overcast here today in San Diego, and unfortunately, my flashed washed out my gorgeous fabric a bit: an Italian Metallic linen from Fashionista Fabrics. The fabric has subtle little silver threads running through it, and in person, I think that the silver buttons really help the fabric pop. Granted, with the flash, I think I look a little washed out, overall, in this picture, but in person, it's a really cute jacket.

Even better, I feel like I really nailed the fit with this one. There are no weird wrinkles anywhere, and nothing is pulling or feels tight anywhere, and it isn't too large across the upper back or chest. I used the Burda Plus 44 as my starting size and didn't even have to make many adjustments (just an FBA and full bicep adjustment). This is the first time that I've made up a BWOF in a 44, and I think I'll be using this as my starting size from here on out (although in patterns that only go up to a 42, I'll probably play around with that and just add to the places where I need the extra fabric).

This was also my first successful project with princess seams. I'd played around with another pattern that had them a few months ago and through a botched FBA and failing to stay-stitch and clip the seams, I wound up with a pretty ugly wadder. I feel a lot better now that I have something princess seamed under my belt...especially since about half of the patterns in my stash have princess seams. With my full bust and generally curvy figure, I think that these are a lot more flattering on me than patterns with only a few darts (or ugh, dartless patterns).

I'll be wearing this jacket open most of the time. I think that it looks particularly cute with a brightly colored top underneath. In fact, this outfit with the green t-shirt is exactly what I'll be wearing when I head out to see the new Indiana Jones movie with my mom in a little bit. (Gotta show off the new jacket to her, too.)

4 comments:

  1. Lovely jacket. It looks great on you with the top underneath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I'll have to keep an eye out for this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely jacket. I bet the fabric is to die for!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great! Yes, Princess seams does big boobies right. I notices you said that you skipped clipping on some of your previous projects. I'm sure you Know this by now, but ya gotta do every step with sewing or your project WILL be screwed up. Especially when just starting out. It sucks, I know. Did you make a muslin of this piece? You can take that and make a paper pattern that you can use for fit for all your future princess seam items. If you need some help let me know and I'll try to explain the process on my blog. Sorry for the long comment. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete