Friday, April 25, 2014

Catching up with past projects: The hits

I have a finished Colette Moneta sitting on my dresser, but I've been feeling slightly under the weather the past few days and wasn't really up to taking photographs. As a result, I haven't blogged or reviewed the dress yet, but I did want to write a second post for the week.

I do have a StyleArc Amber top in progress, but it's not at a point where I can really blog much of anything about it yet. For this top, I'm planning to do two posts--a "finished project" post and a construction post where I walk through the construction steps with photos. I know that some sewists are a bit apprehensive about some of the indie pattern companies with minimalist instructions, and I want to do my little part to remedy that by fleshing those out a bit. If it helps make a new pattern company more accessible to a fellow sewist, then that's a good thing, right?

In any case, while I was trying to think about something to write about, I realized that I was wearing one of my SBCC Tonic tees (this one, to be exact), and it got me thinking about somewhat older garments that I still wear on a regular basis. These garments tend to be ones that are comfortable, wearable, didn't somehow get destroyed in the wash, and very likely have been able to withstand a gain or loss of a few pounds without looking terrible. (As I know I've mentioned, my weight tends to fluctuate quite a bit.)

If you've been on PatternReview for a while, you might recognize a few of these pieces. For the purposes of this post, I'm sticking with pieces that I made before I started blogging regularly last fall. Going chronologically, starting from the oldest...

La Mia Boutique Magazine: 10-2009-18 (Knit tunic w/pleated collar)

Project date: November 2010 


I still wear this tunic because many of the style elements are still around--the chevron, slightly Missoni-esque print and the draped collar being the most predominant. I also love the versatile 3/4 sleeves, body-skimming fit, and just-below hip length length. This tunic was entirely worth the effort to make, considering that La Mia Boutique is an Italian magazine and that the instructions were in Italian.

HotPatterns 1034: Deco Vibe Delicious Dress

Project date: February 2011


The HP Deco Vibe Delicious Dress was a success because of a very successful marriage between fabric and pattern. I used a somewhat beefy but super drapey rayon jersey from Mood for this. And who doesn't love purple paisley print? Because if tell me that you don't, then I'll know what it sounds like when doves cry. I still wear this about every other week, usually paired with leggings and boots.

StyleArc Stacie Jean Jacket

Project date: December 2012


I think that the StyleArc Stacie Jean Jacket has pretty much been universally loved by everyone who has made it. A winter white corduroy jacket is pretty much the perfect layering piece in transitional weather. I still love this jacket as much as the day that I completed it. I really need to make this again in another color or two. Going over some of those thick seam allowances to do the topstitching (there are places where you've got something like 6 layers of a bulky fabric) sort of traumatized me, which is why I haven't made more of these even though I love the one that I have.

HotPatterns 1154: Mommie Dearest Tasseled Tote

Project Date: June 2013


So, it's a bag, but not a garment, but the HotPatterns Mommie Dearest Tote is really the perfect "mom bag". This is the bag that I use on weekends and on all family outings. It's roomy, the straps are a nice length, and I love the color and lining that I used.

Cake Tiramisu Dress

Project Date: July 2013


I still love the chevron effects and swishy skirt of my Cake Tiramisu dress. I used a beefy but drapey cotton-lycra jersey for this project, and I think this is another case where I nailed the pattern-fabric pairing. Even when it's cold, I'll still wear this with leggings, boots, and a jacket.


What are your favorite patterns that you've made over the years?  What was it about them that made you want to reach for them every (or nearly) every wash cycle?

4 comments:

  1. My favorite is the Tiramisu dress. I loved it since first seeing it on PR. The contrast on the neckline and arm band quietly adds spice to an already fantastic piece. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--the contrast binding really help "make" the dress!

      Delete
  2. Wasn't sure if you'd seen this?
    http://patternrevolution.com/bundle-up-sale/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so interesting to see which pieces turn out to be winners. You certainly have some lovely prints in there, and I think the stripes of the Tiramisu really make it. That jean jacket is lovely too.

    ReplyDelete