Anyway...I finished this dress about a month ago, but I was just finally able to get pictures on Eva this past weekend. Sewing this dress was pretty uneventful, so this is going to be more of a "look at my cute daughter" post than anything else.
I know that people (validly) complain about the lack of sewing patterns for little boys, but to be honest, there's a lack of practical patterns for little girls as well. I'm always on the lookout for casual dress patterns for my 3-year-old. While I haven't jumped on the Southport bandwagon myself (being somewhat concerned about the gaping armholes that I've been seeing in just about everyone larger than a B-cup), I really like the style of the dress and thought that it could make a good casual dress for Eva. I snapped this one up when it was first released and on sale for $6.
|True Bias - Mini-Southport dress|
Eva loves it and asks to wear it every wash cycle. Her only complaint is the lack of pockets, but that will be easy enough to remedy in future versions.
|True Bias - Mini-Southport line drawing|
Fabric and Notions Used
I used a cotton poplin from Liesl Gibson's old Lisette fabric line that she used to have with JoAnn's. This fabric has been in my stash for a while; I bought it either when I was still pregnant with Eva (but knew I was having a girl) or possibly when she was a newborn. I used a coordinating fabric from the same line for the waistband and bias tape facing on the arm and neck openings.
The buttons are generic white buttons purchased from JoAnns'.
|mini-Southport: Detail shot|
Pattern Sizing and Alterations
This pattern is available in True Bias' girls' sizes 2T-10, which maps to heights of 33"-57" (84-145cm).
Eva's current height of 36" puts her at the bottom of the range for a 3T, which is what I sewed for her. The final dress is a little roomy on her, but not sloppily so, and she'll be able to wear it for a while.
Pattern PDF Assembly, Drafting, and Instructions
The PDF went together very smoothly. I didn't have any issues with lines not lining up or figuring out what pages went where.
The instructions were very nicely detailed, I thought. I've seen that a fair number of people online have had trouble with figuring out the Colette Aster's self-faced button band. I believe that the mini-Southport uses the same technique, but the instructions for the mini-Southport were very clear, I thought.
The only issue that I had with this pattern is that I felt that the recommended 1/2" single fold bias tape created a lot of bulk in the shoulder area. On a small size like a 3T, the armholes are pretty small and tight curves. I think that for my next version of this, I'll experiment with either flipping one set of facings to the outside (armhole or neck) or drop down to a 1/4" bias tape and trim the seam allowances accordingly. (Note that I made my own bias tape for this dress.)
|mini-Southport - Back view|