For my first new project of the year (also a stash project in both the pattern and fabric sense), I finally sewed up the Skinny Bitch Curvy Chick (SBCC) free t-shirt download that's been getting internet raves over the past few months:
|Finished garment photo from the SBCC web site|
Note: I know that the pattern company name has sparked some controversy online. I understand not being a fan of the name, but it doesn't bother me. Obviously, I'm aware of the negative connotations of the "b" word, but I guess I've been in enough circles where the word can be used affectionately that I don't really have an issue with it. I hadn't actually given it much thought before I saw the discussion that the name sparked on Pattern Review a little while back.
The pattern is available as a free PDF download (or as a hard copy pattern for $10) from the SBCC web site:
SBCC Tonic t-shirt
As you can see from the line drawing, it's a pretty basic t-shirt with a scoop neckline and some side seam shaping.
|SBCC Tonic t-shirt line drawing|
- Added 2" to the overall length using the lengthen/shorten line (just above the waistline). I made this change mostly out of personal preference/fear of the back of the shirt riding up when I bent over.
- Started with a size 1X through the neck/shoulders and morphed to a 2X at the armscye to give myself a bit more room through the bust/waist/hips (aka my "cheater FBA").
- Used the original sleeve cap as a starting point to draft a 3/4 sleeve. Up here in Seattle, I find that I just don't wear short-sleeved t-shirts much; 3/4 length sleeves are much more practical.
I'm very happy with the fit and finished t-shirt:
|Finished t-shirt - front|
And the back:
You can't easily see it because of my black fabric, but the t-shirt is pulling a bit over the high hip fluff of my large rear end. For my next version, I think I'll probably add a little bit to the side seams at the hips, and if that doesn't fix the pulling, I might add a center back (CB) seam or morph this pattern with a t-shirt pattern that does have a CB seam for shaping over my butt.
A few more notes on this project:
- This t-shirt was the first project where I actually used my Babylock Evolve serger/coverstitch to complete the entire project. Previously, I had played around on test fabrics with the coverstitch, but this was the first time that I felt comfortable switching modes and using it on something that I would actually wear. The neckline, in particular, turned out really nice--none of the wavy wonkiness that I sometimes would get from using a twin needle on my machine for my knit topstitching.
- After wearing the t-shirt all day, I realized that the neckline is a tad bit low (or a "skosh", as my grandfather used to say). For my next version, I'm raising it about 1".
- As others have noted, the printing of this PDF runs off the page. To get the correct sizing, tape the pieces with each page edge butted up against it's adjoining page edge. There's no overlap or circles or anything like that on this pattern.
Based on this experience, I would definitely try other SBCC patterns. If I can find a suitable fabric in my stash, I'm considering giving the SBCC knit maxi-skirt a try; I can't think of how wonderful it would be to actually have a maxi-skirt where I didn't have to chop off or otherwise alter inches and inches of length to fit my short legs!