Monday, July 28, 2014

Finished Project: Colette 1028 - Moneta dress (version 2 in blue)

Accidentally pink-dyed hoodies aside, I did get caught up on photographing some of my finished projects for the mini-wardrobe challenge this weekend. First up is this peacock blue Moneta, which I finished about two weeks ago:

Peacock blue Moneta
For this version, I used peacock blue cotton-spandex blend jersey from Girl Charlee. This fabric is a nice mid-weight, and I felt that it worked well for this dress. I used the same view as I did in my previous version. This time, however, instead of doing a self-bound neck opening, I just turned and stitched with my coverstitch. I'd been skeptical that a turn-and-stitch approach would work for a neckline, but seeing that others had had good luck with it, I decided to "follow the instructions" this time. I did also lower/scoop out the front neckline by 1.5" from the original pattern piece.

I think that because this fabric has a little more body/less drape than my previous version, you're seeing a little bit of "flippiness" on my short sleeves that wasn't there on the last version. It doesn't really bother me, but I've seen other people ask about this with the Moneta, so I have to conclude that fabric choice plays a big part in it, since I didn't change anything else with this version.

Love my pockets!
I am also going to use this dress to tick a box in my planned/in-process capsule wardrobe. I am swapping out the "solid-colored t-shirt dress" for this dress. I just don't think that a relaxed t-shirt dress is the best look for me, and this dress can serve the same purpose.

We got a pretty good/funny "out take" shot that afternoon as well:

Pawed.

13 comments:

  1. Lovely dress in a great vibrant colour. Dogs and kids can not stand it when mum's attention is elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you! I stepped out of my comfort zone a little by going with a bright, solid-colored dress, but I'm very happy with it!

      Delete
  3. Your dress is great and fits perfectly. I just acquired Moneta and Myrtle. I love Colette for us busty chicks. If my dog pawed me, I'd be in tears because her nails are like germ-filled talons. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. Either Myrtle or another Mimosa will likely be my next project.

      Delete
  4. The dress is a great color for you. And Arya is such a cutie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Arya just got her summer haircut, so we like to tell her how pretty she looks now. (The bandana is from the groomer.)

      Delete
  5. We're so lucky our dogs don't need groomers. Roubaix is going through her phase of only liking us (still, eyeroll). And Leo, well, he hates to primped and such. I do want to make them some sassy bandanas. I also want to have them wear Halloween costumes this year. I'm thinking Abe Lincoln, Vampire Hunter for the girl, and Steampunk Betsy Ross for the boy. We're not very gender normative here, apparently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was Arya's first trip to the groomers. Apparently, she was very good for the most part, but wouldn't let the groomer trim any of the terrier "whiskers" on her face.

      I hadn't even thought about what to dress her up as for Halloween yet! I'm sure that whatever it is, it'll be something to coordinate with whatever Eva goes as.

      Delete
  6. Puppy wants attention!!! Don't you just love wearing pajamas that are dresses? Lol. Your moneta is lovely and looks like a staple dress for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi it's Nicole from The Girl Charlee Team. LOVE your Moneta! Thanks for the link back.

    www.girlcharlee.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG i want to come in your underwear

    ReplyDelete