Anyway, after the robot costume insanity, I needed a palate cleanser project. I lucked out in that Melissa from Blank Slate put out a call for testers for her new girls' party dress pattern, which I fell in love with from the sample photo. This pattern was a very easy sew with no fitting involved, and I think that the final dress is adorable.
Here it is...the Blank Slate Fiesta Frock!
|Blank Slate - Fiesta Frock|
|Fiesta Frock line drawing|
Fabric and Notions Used
I used the following fabric and notions for this dress:
- The main fabric is actually a Mickey Mouse quilting cotton, originally purchased to make a set of pajamas for Eva. I probably wouldn't have chosen this fabric for this dress; however, the skirt is a bit of a fabric hog (but it TWIRLS), and none of my dress-length cuts of fabric for Eva in my stash would have been enough fabric. Eva has been bugging me for a Mickey Mouse dress for a while, so I figured that I'd give her her way this time.
- Collar and sleeve binding: a scrap of white cotton shirting from Gorgeous Fabrics
- Buttons and bias binding (for the neckline) purchased from JoAnn's.
|Faux Peter Pan collar|
PDF Assembly and Pattern Drafting
The PDF for this pattern went together smoothly. One thing that I liked is that although the skirt is just a gathered rectangle, Melissa gives you the option of either printing/taping the pattern piece or drafting it yourself from the dimensions that she gives. I'm a printer-and-taper, so that's what I did.
I ran into no drafting issues, even though this was technically the test version of the pattern.
Pattern Sizing, and Alterations
This pattern is available in girls' sizes NB-10, so it covers a really wide age span. Eva's measurements best fit the size 3T, so that's what I sewed. I didn't make any fit alterations, and I'm happy with the off-the-printer fit.
|Fiesta Frock - back|
Even though this was just the test version of the pattern, I only ran into really, really minor nitpicky things with the instructions, which should be fixed in the final version. (We're talking about a couple of typos here.) I hadn't seen the included method of binding the sleeve hem/sewing the side seams before, but it was easy to do and made for a nice finish. Melissa's method should be much easier, especially for the smaller sizes, than trying to attach the binding in the round on a small sleeve opening.
I'd rate this as a solidly "Advanced Beginner" pattern from a difficulty standpoint.
Final ThoughtsIt's so nice to have a project where everything goes smoothly, especially after a difficult one like the robot costume. Of course, Eva loves it--she finally got her "Mickey" dress, and it comes with a big twirly skirt!