Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Finished Project: StyleArc - Misty Jeans

I've had the pattern for the StyleArc Misty pull-on jeans in my stash for about six months now, but I'd been on the fence as to whether to try that pattern or the similar Jalie Eleanor jeans, if I were to dive into the waters of pull-on jeans. (I'd purchased the Jalie jeans, too, because they include both my daughter's and my size jeans all in one envelope.) However, when Alicia of Pandora Sews announced that she was hosting a curvy sewalong for the Misty jeans, I knew that I wanted to take part and finally get my Mistys sewn up.

It's been great seeing so many curvy sewists of many shapes and sizes post their progress on these jeans on Instagram over the past month, so here's my take on the pattern:

StyleArc - Misty jeans
The Misty jean is designed for stretch denim (StyleArc recommends denim with at least 3% spandex), has mock front pockets, a mock front fly, and an elastic waistband.

StyleArc - Misty jean line drawing
I feel guilty liking how these fit and feel as much as I do. I mean, they're elastic-waist jeans! My husband saw the waistband and said, "You're wearing Mom Jeans!"

Out of the envelope (with a few minor changes), though I feel like these are a better fit than the "real" Burda jeans that I've been working out the fit on off and on over the past few months. The Mistys aren't perfect, but they're a few minor pattern alterations away from giving me the fit that I'm looking for, I think.

For comparison, here are the first two versions of my Burda jeans:

Burda v1 - the wearable muslin


Burda v2 -- better
And here are my Mistys, with the only adjustment being adding a bit at the high hip:

Misty jeans
I've clearly still got the knock knee wrinkles, but the other wrinkles between my knee and butt are gone. I do need to add a touch to the length of the CB seam and play around some more with the pocket placement, but I'm pretty happy with these for a first pass.

Here's the view from the front. I see a little bit of pulling through the tummy, so I'll probably do a small full tummy adjustment on my next pair of these.
Misty jeans- front

Fabric and Notions Used

 

I used the following fabric and notions for my jeans:
  • Fabric: Stretch denim purchased ages ago from fabric.com. I bought this back when everyone was making the Jalie stretch jeans that I never made.
  • Elastic:  1.5" pro-stretch elastic (the pattern calls for an odd size--I felt this was close enough) from Fashion Sewing Supply.
  • Thread: Gutermann jeans top-stitching thread for the top-stitching; regular Gutermann thread in the bobbin and for all of the seams.
Here you can see my top-stitching in all of its glory:

Top-stitching - back

Top-stitching -front

PDF Assembly

 

N/A. I used the paper pattern.

 

Pattern Drafting, Sizing, and Alterations

 


This pattern is available in on the StyleArc website in StyleArc sizes 4-30, which corresponds to 32.6-61" (83cm - 154cm) hips. Additionally, StyleArc has extended sizing up to a size 38 available in their Etsy shop.

I sewed a size 22 with about 2" added to the high hip/waist area.

Pattern Instructions

 

StyleArc is known for its brief instructions, and this pattern is no exception. However, these jeans are so easy to construct that I didn't really need them. If you do need more comprehensive instructions, refer to Alicia's sewalong.

Misty Jeans Sewalong

Final Thoughts

I like these way more than I thought I would. Next time, I'll make the pattern adjustments that I previously described and want to play around with altering the pockets to make them functional. These jeans are soooooo comfortable and they're nearly as fast to construct as a pair of yoga pants; I will definitely be making more of them.

This pair even earned one of my closely-rationed StyleArc labels:

My StyleArc label

29 comments:

  1. Nice! I agree that they fit better than the burdas! And the burdas where close. Did you read the blog posts on the Eleanor jeans regarding her adventures with the knock knee alteration. You can see them here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. https://sdbevpantsed.wordpress.com/category/jalie/eleanor/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for posting that--I had not seen it. To me, it looks like the knock knee alteration got rid of the "X" wrinkles (the knock knee wrinkles) but made some other issue more obvious or possibly introduced another issue. (It sounds like she made a large knock knee adjustment--maybe she overadjusted?) I was planning to go with a 1/2" alteration to start, and I'll be using the exact same denim for my second pair that I did for my first, so I should have a good basis of comparison.

      Delete
  3. These look great, definitely better than the burda! And now I'm all confused because I have the same knock-knee/full inner thigh problem and I thought the burdas looked like they would be a better fit. I managed an OK fit on my Misty's, but they still need some work! I agree that they are soooo comfortable and so easy to sew- like leggings but with the added fun of topstitching! Looking forward to hearing about your adjustments, because I think i will meed to make the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was surprised, too. I'm going to guess that it at least partially has to do with the StyleArc crotch curve fitting me better than Burda's (just a hunch).

      I decided to dive right into another pair of Mistys, but I'll be making the alterations that I described above to this pair. I'm really eager to have more of these, and hopefully, the next pair will be a positive step in my fitting progression.

      Delete
  4. Great fit for a first time! I really like this ensemble look on you (the tee and cardy over jeans in your top photo). You look great.
    I'm tempted by these - jeans are so handy but I don't really like the bulkiness of a fly. I have to have functional pockets, though. Looking forward to seeing your next pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm missing the functional pockets. I'm planning to make that change for my next pair.

      Delete
  5. I was somewhat surprised to see the fit less skinny in the lower legs than the pattern appears. I do like this pair. I agree 1/2" alteration is enough. That is what I do. I don't have knock knees but a lovely fat pad at the inner knee that skews the pant legs in the same manner. This actual alteration is explained at length in a JStern video. I will get the link for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. http://www.jsterndesigns.com/pattern-adjustment-for-knees-that-rotate-inward/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was actually looking at this tutorial last night. It seems like everyone has their own way of doing a knock knee alteration.

      Delete
  7. Don't worry about Mom jeans. I love my Jalie jeans! The elastic waist is covered by the denim.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last year at puyallup Lorraine Henry suggested I extend this alteration the whole inseam length. Then take the extra 1/2" out of the outside seam right down to the hem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting. Do you recall why she recommended extending it down the entire inseam length? Most of the tutorials I've read have it stop at the knee.

      Delete
    2. She never said. But my theory is that my whole leg is slightly skewed and closer together and it changes the angles. It does work for me.

      Delete
  9. These look great. Your topstitching is excellent and the fit is even better than the Jalie ones. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Michelle, these are great! Thank you for linking up to the Parade of Misty Jeans! They are a better fit than your Burda jeans and I think it will only take a little bit of tweaking to get the pattern where you want it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Michelle, these are great! Thank you for linking up to the Parade of Misty Jeans! They are a better fit than your Burda jeans and I think it will only take a little bit of tweaking to get the pattern where you want it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's my hope. It would be fantastic to have the fit on these worked out and to be able to crank out a pair any time that I run across a cut of denim that feels like it needs to be a slim or skinny jean.

      Delete
  12. Love seeing these finished! I really like my misty jeans, too. Just need to add the waistband. I guess since we wear our shirts over our waistband, it doesn't really matter if they're "mom" or "grandma" jeans (my grandma wore something similar!). Lol. I'm sure I will make at least one more. It's like a dressier legging and I had fun with the topstitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I'm wearing mine today, and they really are as comfortable as leggings.

      Delete
  13. Aaaaah brilliant! I don't have a stretch woven, but I want and need these pants - where does one see what % of stretch they have? I wish fabric.com sorted by % of stretch, it would save buying endless swatches and measuring them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea what percentage stretch my denim has, other than the fact that it's pretty stretchy. StyleArc recommends using a stretch woven or stretch denim with at least 3% spandex content.

      Delete
  14. Mom jeans have been a mom secret for a long time now! They been laughing at us all for raising our noses at them. Moms are in the KNOW! Cute jeans! And I agree they fit you better than the Burda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on your Misty Jeans! I may need these in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How are they cut vs a "regular" jean? Im asking because I love the elastic waist, but a boyfriend style fits me much better. Could I just use elastic as waist interfacing and use stretch denim with a different pattern and have it come out alright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably? I know that Suzy Bee and Gillian from Crafting a Rainbow have both converted regular jeans to pull-on jeans. Gillian wrote up a post about how she's done it: http://curvysewingcollective.com/how-to-give-any-stretch-pants-an-elastic-waist/

      Delete
  17. Blondellamy'Dean LLP was started in July 2012 by Anna Lynn Johnson and Chris McClelland. A Curvy Girl's Boutique. Sizes 10-36. Create an account to receive a free $5-$50 account credit. Plus Size Boutique and Plus Size Shorts.

    ReplyDelete