Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Finished Project: Simplicity 1505 Big and Tall Men & Husky Boys' Pajamas

Given the lack of men's patterns in general, and the nearly complete absence of any patterns for a man who wears larger than a 2X, I was really excited to see Simplicity come out with a new Big and Tall men's pajama pattern in their most recent collection (October 2013).

Not only do the men's sizes run from 1XL-5XL, the pattern actually uses the pieced/colorblock trend that we've been seeing for the past few years. And a v-neck! Imagine that, a Big and Tall pattern that's reasonably fashionable!


The pattern includes both the men's and boys' pattern pieces with views for pants or shorts. You can't really see it in the line drawing, but the pants/shorts have inseam pockets--a bonus when your husband never wants to be too far away from his phone.

My husband desperately needed new pajamas, since he'd pretty much destroyed the set that I made him last year (he's rough on clothes). For the pants, I used cotton flannel that I'd purchased from Fabric Mart's $3/yard sale last winter. For the shirt, I used coordinating cotton interlock that I'd had in my stash for years that I'd bought at fabric.com. (The interlock was purchased before I'd figured out how important lycra/recovery is in knit tops...but for a set of pajamas, I figured it really didn't matter.)

I actually finished these a couple of weeks ago (grabbing a few minutes here and there while working on my Red Velvet dresses). Here are the finished pajamas:


Sizing-wise, the sizes seem to run very true to RTW. I chose my husband's RTW sizes for both the pants and shirt, and they both have the roomy (but not huge) fit that most of us like to have in our pajamas. The pattern went together well, and other than a few quibbles that I had with the order of construction (repeat after me: It's easier to sew in-the-flat than in-the-round for many things...), the instructions were fine. Note: My husband is 6'2" (he has a VERY long torso), and I did not need to add any length to the shirt. The only other time that I haven't had to add length to a shirt of his was when I made up the now-out-of-print Simplicity 4957: Big and Tall Men's shirt for him.

I'm really happy that Simplicity included this pattern in their last release. Since they sunsetted the old 4975 shirt pattern, I've been hoping that they'd come out with an updated men's shirt. These pajamas might not be that shirt, but they are a nice option if you are a Big and Tall man or have a larger man in your life. It's really nice to be able to sew something right out of the envelope for my husband without having to grade up multiple sizes. Outside of the Islander patterns and the occasional McCall's that run up to an XXXL, I'm not aware of any other sewing patterns for men that go past an XXL. I read a lot of valid complaints from plus sized women about the lack of sewing pattern options out there, but larger guys have it even worse in that department.

4 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to get a pattern that doesn't need much alteration. The PJs look nice - very masculine colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! Like BeaJay, I really like those colors. Hot Patterns "Mr HP" patterns technically only go to XXL, but since I've met the actual Mr. HP, Jeremy, I'm guessing the men's patterns run large like the women's and the XXL is closer to an XXXL, or else Jeremy wouldn't be able to wear his own company's patterns. ;-) He's a big guy everywhere ... not just girth. (And a sweetheart ... I hope he's not offended by my descriptions. lol) Anyway ... all this to say that maybe the Mr. HP line is another choice for you and your hubby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debbie, I totally agree. I was actually going to write a separate post lauding HP for the stylish Mr. HP pattern line.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, please do still write that post! I'd be buying some of those patterns but I don't currently have a man to sew for. twentysomething sons don't count. LOL! Although I'm kinda tempted by the jeans for (stocky) son #2.

    ReplyDelete