Monday, December 9, 2013

Yea or Nay: Inifinity scarves for the short, large-busted woman?

I never had to wear scarves when I lived in San Diego, but here in Seattle, they've pretty much been a necessity for being comfortable outside when the temperature drops below 45 degrees.

I know that the current fashion is to wear infinity scarves, which are a loop of fabric that you drape around your neck 2 or 3 times. I sewed one of these a few years ago, but never ended up wearing it much. I felt like I had a pool of fabric sitting on my Very Large Bust. Having a short neck didn't help things.

Infinity scarf (Nordstrom's)

Since moving, I've been sticking with a traditional scarf, looped once around my neck and letting the ends hang down. I might be deluding myself, but I like to think that the ends hanging down helps create vertical lines down the front of my body. In theory, this should have a lengthening effect on 5'2" me.

"Traditional" scarf (Nordstrom's)

What's your take? I'm thinking that the infinity scarf is a trend that I should just sit out, but maybe you're a full-busted woman yourself and you've found a way to style these where you don't feel like you're adding unnecessary bulk to your chest. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Wear your scarves! I think everyone who wears those bulky infinity scarves looks busty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, wear them! You can sew your own or alter RTW. Reduce the width and/or length to flatter your figure. Twisted and looped twice is probably enough for anyone. I purchased an infinity scarf & never wore it for this same reason, so I pulled it out the other day & decided to reduce width by half & shorten length to flatter my figure. I'm 5'2" like you & not busty but too much scarf can be overwhelming to anyone.

    ReplyDelete