Thursday, December 5, 2013

Winter is here



Because "winter is here" is so much more original than "winter is coming" at this point, right?

Self-directed snark aside, I am experiencing my first "real" winter here in Seattle. I was actually born in Chicago, but we moved to San Diego when I was four years old. Since then, I've lived my entire life in the state of California (bouncing a couple of times between San Diego and the Bay Area). You just flat-out don't see temperatures of "27" in most parts of San Diego, let alone have days with high temperatures of 36. I see an upcoming low temp of "19" degrees Fahrenheit. I don't think I've ever actually been outside in 19 degree weather. I have no idea what that feels like.

When we told people that we were going to be moving to Seattle, the general consensus was "It's so rainy up there!" said to us with a tone indicating that we might melt from a little moisture. The rain really hasn't been a big deal; when it rains, it's usually overnight or in the early morning. We do have a fair number of overcast days up here. I've been told that we're having a dry fall, so maybe I haven't experienced the "real" rain yet.

The cold, on the other hand, is much greater than I expected. I'm not complaining about it--it's like a novelty to us so far. "OMG! So this is what 27 degrees feels like!" We haven't had any snow yet, but I've been told that the community that we live in does typically get a few inches of snow per year. Up here, people aren't used to snow and apparently, all hell breaks loose when it does snow.

Things that I've learned about cold weather in the past few weeks:
  • Scarves: They're not just fashion accessories!
  • An unlined/denim jacket does not cut it for warmth below 45 degrees.
  • I never thought I'd write this, but I really want to make a coat. A lined and interlined coat. (Yes, I have a pattern, fabric, etc.)
  • If you leave your car sitting outside at a Park and Ride all day in 30-something degree weather, you'll need to sit in your car with the engine running for 10 minutes while your defroster de-ices your windows enough to actually drive home.
Also, water freezes when it's this cold! Really, like puddles and stuff. Check out this "puddle" in a parking lot that I walk through to get to my office in the mornings:


That's ice! A squirrel could ice skate on that puddle! Can you tell that this is all still hugely entertaining to us? I'm probably going to explode with excitement the first time that I see snowflakes.

Oh, to be in your late 30's and experience winter weather for the first time...


1 comment:

  1. Coming from the lower Arctic north that is Michigan, I could have warned you! Wait until you feel the wind chill. Yeah...it's a thing! The temperature is 15F but 'feels like' -2F.

    You might want to invest in a sturdy ice chipper (not the little plastic deals at the gas station). You'll burn lots of gas waiting for the car to do the work. =)

    ReplyDelete